If you or a loved one is in need of any of the services or supports provided by Trinity Services, you are encouraged to schedule a tour or visit. If the choice involves a job or community day services, the interested person should spend a day meeting people and asking questions.

For immediate assistance, contact our Corporate Office at 815-485-6197 during our business hours of 8:30 a.m.-5 p.m. Central Time. You may also email Director of Admissions Jen Klouse.

For answers to some common questions about obtaining services, browse the question-and-answer sections below that appear under the headings "Developmental Disability Services" and "Behavioral Health Services."

Developmental Disability Services

What needs to happen before I or my loved one can receive developmental disability services from Trinity?

First, determine if you or your loved one are eligible for developmental disability services in Illinois. The State's definition of a developmental disability is "a long-term disability (needs help in three or more specific areas of daily life, along with other limitations) that was present prior to the 22nd birthday."

Next, contact a State Developmental Disabilities Service Office nearest you to consult with an independent service coordinator, who will help you understand the process for receiving funding for services in Illinois.

Upon meeting with the independent service coordinator, you will need to provide consent for the State to obtain records from schools, doctors, etc., including individual education plans, and medical and psychological reports.

If you or your loved one are not eligible for services, the independent service coordinator can help connect you with appropriate services.

What types of materials should I have on hand?

Bring your or your loved one's:

  • Official government ID
  • Social Security number
  • Medical/professional recommendation for developmental disability services (if applicable)
  • Primary care information
  • Immunization records
  • IQ test results
  • High school individual education plan
  • Records of meetings with the Social Security Administration
  • Medicaid and health insurance information.

What is the PUNS List, and what is it used for?

The Prioritization of Urgency of Need for Services (PUNS) List is an Illinois database of children and adults with developmental disabilities who need services or supports. The State uses the list to select individuals for services as funding is available. Services available through PUNS include in-home supports, respite care, job coaching, residential services, adaptive equipment, and more. Your independent service coordinator can help you sign up for the PUNS List.
The list is divided into three categories:

Planning for Future Need — A need for future planning occurs when a person, not currently receiving services at Trinity, might need them in a year to five years because:

  • Something happens to his or her caregiver.
  • He or she wishes to move from a large setting to a smaller one.
  • He or she wants to move to a different geographic location.
  • He or she becomes ineligible for funding or services under his or her current program.

Critical Need — A critical need occurs when a person needs support within one year because:

  • A caregiver is unable to provide care because of health, age or other reasons.
  • A caregiver cannot manage the person's behavior, health issues or other needs.
  • He or she, or the caregiver, wants to move to a different setting.
  • He or she is no longer eligible for funding or services under a different program.

Emergency Need — An emergency need occurs when a person requires support immediately because:

  • A caretaker has fallen ill.
  • A caretaker is unable to provide supports due to extenuating medical or behavioral challenges.
  • He or she experiences abuses or neglect.
  • He or she is at risk of incarceration.

What is the Ligas Consent Decree?

The Ligas Consent Decree is a court ruling ensuring that the choices of Illinois residents with developmental disabilities who want community-based services or settings are honored. It identifies Ligas Class members as adults with developmental disabilities who:

  • Qualify for Medicaid Waiver services,
  • Live in either an intermediate care facility (ICF/DD) or a family home
  • And request to receive community-based services or placement in a community.

How does funding work?

Most services are funded through the Illinois Medicaid system. If you have not yet applied for medical assistance, you may do so online here.

What are some other resources I can use?

Community support groups are available throughout Illinois and can be located by using the Illinois Life Span Program's search tool, here. Families may also obtain resources from The Arc of Illinois' Family Support Network or Family to Family Health Information Center, or the Family Resource Center on Disabilities..

Behavioral Health Services

How can I or a loved one receive behavioral health services from Trinity?

If you or a loved one needs behavioral health services for a mental illness, staff at Trinity Services can conduct a clinical interview and assessment to determine eligibility for services. Trinity staff can then help determine what types of services are needed and how these can be obtained.

For more information, contact Director of Admissions Jen Klouse at 815-485-6197 or by email.

How does funding work?

Mental health services in Illinois are funded through the Illinois Medicaid system. If you have not yet applied for medical assistance, you may do so online here. In addition to Medicaid, Trinity Services accepts most forms of private insurance at the Trinity Counseling Center.

What is the Williams Consent Decree?

The Williams Consent Decree is a court ruling that enables Illinois residents with a mental illness residing in nursing homes to choose to live in an integrated community setting with the appropriate supports and services.

What are some other resources I can use?

There are a number of hotlines and support groups for people with mental illness and their families in Illinois. The Warm Line connects people in need of support with a trained recovery support specialist from 8 a.m.-5 p.m. Monday-Friday at 866-359-7953. The Crisis Text Line connects people in crisis with trained volunteers who can help them create a plan. People can reach the line 24/7 at 741741.

Additionally, people can browse resources through the Illinois Mental Health Collaborative for Access and Choice and the  National Alliance on Mental Illness.

Other Resources